History of Bolivar Housing Authority
In 1937, the federal government became officially involved with public housing under the United States Housing Act. This act truly came out of President Roosevelt’s New Deal which started in 1933. The goal of this act was to improve the current unsafe and unsanitary housing conditions and to lessen the extreme shortage of decent housing for low-income families.
The purpose for organizing the public housing authority was due to a finding of unsanitary and unsafe inhabited dwellings within the City of Bolivar and ten miles outside the city limits;
That the Commissioners reside within the city of Bolivar
First meeting of the Board of Commissioners-10-7-1958
Present at the meeting and were appointed by the Mayor Marion Creekmore was-Harlan Thomas (Chaairman), Vincent Black (Secretary), Mahlon Brown, John V. Anderson, L.B. Wimberley, later John V. Anderson
The Mayor was Marion Creekmore;
City Clerk was M.G. Isbell and was the Sec/Treas.
In 1959 Mayor Thomas was elected
and was replaced by L. Mecoy Ross;
Mahlon Brown was voted as Chairman.
In April 1960 Judge M.L. Alphin was the
first official Secretary and Executive
Director and the next ED was Lenora
Hazelgrove starting about March 1961.
She was executive director until
March 1, 1964 when L.A. Shappley was
In May 1973 Bolivar Housing Authority and the United States Department of HUD entered into an agreement to develop another 68 units of public housing, Project number 50-3, called Hatchie Haven and Chickasaw Village.
L.A. Shappley was executive director until March 1978 when Billy Muse was appointed by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors included John V. Anders, Vincent Black, Mecoy Ross, Frank Dorris and Joe West Williams.
In June 1979 the HUD Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Division sent a letter to the Bolivar Housing Authority noting that there had been no minority represented on the Board of Commissioners. The Board of Commissioners were appointed by the City of Bolivar Mayor. A meeting was held with the Mayor to address this issue.
In October 1979 Commissioner Joe West Williams term expired and the Mayor appointed Mr. J.L. Ferguson was the first African-American commissioner.
Billy Muse remained executive director until December 1985 when he unexpectantly died. The next executive director was Billy Byrum.
Billy Byrum remained executive director until
March 2003 when he retired. The Board of
Commissioners then appointed Micheal
A. Miller, the first African-American executive
director, as his replacement. The Board of
Commissioners at the time of Micheal Miller’s
appointment was Jerome Boyd (Chairman),
Norman Vance (Vice-Chairman), Angie Farris,
Robert Parham and Carolyn Beauregard.
As of January 1, 2020 the Bolivar Housing Authority Board of Commissioners include Eva Reynolds (Chairperson), Jesse Williams (Vice-Chairperson), Judith Shackelford, Robert Parham and Lavera Wilkes.